Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Scratch



Wow that video make Scratch look great!!
But what about using it in a classroom, is it practical? Will my students learn anything?

Unfortunately through extensive research and hours of playing I would have to say NO it is not practical nor will your students learn anything and YES it is extremely time consuming.
Scratch looks at programming skills and the creation of animations. It is a great concept and it fun and interesting to play with however students can only learn programing skills from it.

After reading several wiki pages and blog spots I was excited to use this program. I was extremely disappointed and confused when using the program.

I would recommend teachers use Scratch as a tool within the classroom using animations made by others or provided on the various support sites and discussion forums. I think Scratch could be beneficial in this way however is only really designed for those students who are interested in computer and programing and those who learn through patters.

Frankly, I would not create Scratch animations for my classroom or asks students to create them however I would use Scratch animation to teach concepts and consolidate student learning in a fun, interactive way.

Scratch Wiki Page: http://curtineducation2009.wetpaint.com/page/Scratch
Created by Scratcher 1 & 2


No comments:

Post a Comment